FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancellation fee- do I have any recourse?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:53 pm
Horace

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sabre31_98
Well now looking at the big storm cone blanketing Florida, my wife does not want to travel there and I don't blame her.
@sabre31_98 :

Going back to the first post in this thread...

Perhaps your wife saw a graphic of Tropical Storm Dorian on television news, without proper interpretation by the weather caster. It's not a "big storm cone blanketing Florida." As I've already noted in this thread, some parts of Florida will get the relatively mild remnants of a storm that's now a thousand miles away.

The cone does not mean that the storm is getting bigger and bigger.

The cone represents the range of the probable track of the center of the storm. The most probable path has it heading toward Central Florida, but it could take a more northerly or southerly path within the range of the cone. If it takes a very southerly path within the cone, then it would be heading toward Marco Island. But, even in that case, it should be so weak by then as to be of no significant consequence.

To see actual charts from NOAA, go to https://www.nhc.noaa.gov and scroll down to Tropical Storm Dorian. Be sure to read the explanations and what the color codes indicate.

If Mrs. Horace and I had a plans for a Labor Day weekend stay at the JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort, we would not let a graphic of a distant storm (and its cone) on TV stop us. We would proceed with the plans and enjoy the beautiful resort!

And we certainly wouldn't flush a huge cancellation fee down the drain.