FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reduced service: ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-2019 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:14 pm
nomad420

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
when is your flight? there are a lot of people to notify. it is very likely United is doing this one wave at a time.
Not until end of Dec so you may be correct. However with a phone call it was confirmed that I was indeed changed to a EVE-IAH flight. I spend last night getting our seats back together but was able to do it on both legs of the flight. They had all of us (4) scattered through out Polaris section of the flight post change and all paxs are GS on vacation. Needless to say they were responsive when I called and apologetic about the whole mix up. No comment was made as to why they dropped the flight and I didn't push for an answer.

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Respectfully, I think that was an extreme overreaction - the likelihood of services/companies ceasing to exist over the next four months is pretty slim. The country's in recession, not outright collapse, and it's seen far worse. Also, the currency controls of the K years are gone, so there's no real need to use cash dollars (although, if a merchant opts to give you a discount for that, I don't see why that's a problem!)

Also, I'm not sure where you're getting that AR is the only option for internal flights. LATAM has a pretty comprehensive route network and is about the same price as AR. Also, strikes are pretty much a fact of life most places outside the US - witness BA right now! In any event, the unions in Argentina are more likely to support the Peronist agenda, so there's slim to no chance they're going to launch a massive strike right as a Peronist president (presumably) takes over.

Anyway, Chile will be great as well, but if you're really interested in Argentina, I wouldn't be dissuaded from going. You can easily get to Mendoza wine country from Santiago - something to think about. Or, if you're in the south, you can do the Cruce de los Lagos, which is a gorgeous boat trip through the Patagonian lake district that can take you to Bariloche:

https://www.cruceandino.com/cruce/ES...a-de-travesias
While we are not cancelling out trip we are trying to spend more time in Chile now. We are locked in to lodging at Mendoza and are trying to shorten are stay there and have to exit through EVE so probably spend at least a day there. But from what I have been hearing I must admit I am not really excited about going now. My nephew may actually blow the trip off and take the financial hit (so hotels in Mendoza give no refunds if booked over the Xmas holiday) as he cannot afford to get stuck in country if things go south.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 27, 2019 at 3:41 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member