FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is this a valid RTW itin or am I backtracking?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:56 am
mad_atta

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by henry999
I haven't done a *A RTW in a good few years and my copy of the rules dates from 2014. I can't seem to find the discussion of 'continuous direction'. However, since AKL and SYD are both within Area 3, perhaps your proposal wouldn't be backtracking?

Alternatively, have you looked at CA, NH or OZ? HKG-pek-SYD, HKG-nrt-SYD and HKG-icn-SYD are all shorter than HKG-akl-SYD anyway, as far as your mileage limit is concerned.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response. NH is indeed an option I've considered - that's probably my plan B right now. I'd cheerfully fly OZ, but as noted there's just no availability in the fare class I need any time around my dates. (I too haven't booked a *A RTW in a long time... and wow they are so much harder these days now that they book into much more discounted fare classes.

I could indeed fly CA via PEK or CTU but the connections are really long and transiting through mainland Chinese airports generally isn't much fun (and the lounges are lousy) so I'd probably place that even below TG on my list in terms of desirability.

In terms of mileage, I'll be on 29K ticket so I actually have plenty to work with.

Last edited by mad_atta; Aug 27, 2019 at 6:30 am