FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:58 pm
Smiley90
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by CanadianConnection33
A deal is a deal.

A representation by an agent at the time of booking is a term of the contract.

I've been provided with no terms and conditions to the contrary. The contract is now firm. I have a booking that includes a destination and two stopovers with the options and expense of making changes clearly explained to me in writing and by phone. If they want to rewrite the rules on future bookings then that's one thing but they cannot rewrite a contract once its paid for / tickets redeemed.

I have faith that Aeroplan will make the right decision on retroactive application . . . not because they want to but because if they don't then I will be inviting them to explain to the Ministry of Consumer Protection and Affairs why they think they would think they could violate the Consumer Protection Act, 2002 (Ontario) and why they should be exempt from a $250,000.00 fine. All of that is hypothetical, of course, because they haven't broken the rules. All that is to say they have the right incentive to treat existing bookings fairly.

If you book after, September 1, 2019, however, you're probably stuck. In that case the only thing that has forced Aeroplan to become more reasonable has been class action litigation.
I think just to be safe (even though this really SHOULDN'T be necessary) I'm going to make my "dummy"-booking that I plan to change later have two stopovers amyway. That way when I call in in the future I don't have to go through the hassle of saying I want to add TWO stopovers because those were the rules when I booked the ticket - because I already have two stopovers I "only" want to change the dates of the segments. Hopefully that'll minimize the risk of AC going "You can't do that, if you want to change dates you need to get rid of one of your stopovers", which would suck big time because it'd mean the taxes&fees paid on the dummy booking are down the drain.