FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - purchasing economy & using reward points for an upgrade to business
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:26 am
irishguy28
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by graves666
According to the FB person I just spoke to, the economy tickets we need to purchase are "class O" to be eligible for the upgrade. She was also adamant that there were absolutely no O class tickets available for purchase, even if we were willing to have a layover through CDG or any number of cities in the US (LAX, SLC, PDX). If they don't have anything available on the direct flights, I get it, but surely on one of those A380 flights there's got to be room for an economy to business upgrade.
As the previous poster noted, "O" is the fare class that one upgrades into. "O" previously was exclusively for redemption tickets, but now some business class revenue tickets are also sold in "O" class.

You can (in theory; not always in practice) upgrade from ANY economy fare class. However, I advise you not to attempt this. Upgrading using miles is probably the worst use of FB miles. You should always first aim to use your miles to redeem into the business cabin outright.

Upgrading with miles generally only makes sense if you travel so frequently - preferably on someone else's dime - that you are in the "lottery" often enough that, eventually, one of the flights you happen to be booked on will have an available business seat that you can upgrade into.

Additionally - why would you want to upgrade into J on the AF A380? No lie-flat seat!! If you want to fly J on AF, at least make sure it's on one of their better seats!!!!