FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Safety of Frankfurt compared to London?
View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:59 am
Flying Lawyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by speed.skater
The GBP has recovered some over the last few days. It is basically exactly where it was one year ago vis-a-vis the EUR. It is down just 4.5 per cent vis-a-vis the USD (again, vs. the rate one year ago). Even if you look at the pound's decline since the vote for Brexit, it's not all that dramatic. Differences in the real cost of living between Frankfurt and London are probably bigger than recent movements in the GBP.
I am traditionally getting paid in GBP and got a large amount in GBP in June 15 when leaving one company after 25 years - so I remember pretty well the GBP was at 1.41 to the EUR in June 15 which was pretty good for me. Currently we are at 1.10 to the EUR. Admittedly not as bet as 1.05 to the EUR. I am very much familiar with the London market and that was the reason for me to say "relatively" affordable. The housing market is no longer that expensice in London compared to 2010/11 (they built over capacity) and the GBP is as low as is had never been for ages. Given what I read from Donald every now and then, the USD is that strong v/v every currency, so it must be even better for you guys