FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - purchasing economy & using reward points for an upgrade to business
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:38 am
graves666

Programs: Flying Blue
purchasing economy & using reward points for an upgrade to business

This is probably an amateur question. I'm currently FB Gold. My wife and I want to purchase r/t economy tickets from AMS to SFO in Dec/Jan, and upgrade to business class using reward points ( at least on the return leg, depending on how many points it costs and how many we have available).

According to the FB person I just spoke to, the economy tickets we need to purchase are "class O" to be eligible for the upgrade. She was also adamant that there were absolutely no O class tickets available for purchase, even if we were willing to have a layover through CDG or any number of cities in the US (LAX, SLC, PDX). If they don't have anything available on the direct flights, I get it, but surely on one of those A380 flights there's got to be room for an economy to business upgrade.

Of course if there's truly nothing available, then there's no point in buying the higher class economy tickets, and I might as well get the cheapest available fair through the website.

How would folks here go about a purchase like this? Is there a trick to it? Maybe there's something more specific I should ask for? I just don't believe FB that there's absolutely nothing available.

Thanks a million.