FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Converting amex mr points to avios to fly to barcelona in January
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:45 pm
Piedmont762

Originally Posted by masterthespian
I’m honestly not really sure what to do in this case that’s why I posted. I want to go to Barcelona in January in the off season.

i could save my points and just pay with cash with my Amex gold or chase reserve for about $250 round trip for direct flights in basic economy

i could use ur points for about 20000 points on the same flight

I could convert mr to avios with the 40% bonus they are offering, maybe get a biz class flight for 34000 avios on Iberia plus. (About 25000 mr points)

I am totally ok with flying basic economy on a 7 to 8 hour flight(like this one) Longer trips like 20-30 hours I’ll get biz class ticket to get a seat that reclines all the way to get decent sleep.

In this case its cheap enough either way that it’s almost not worth arguing about, I’ve never used avios and saw the sale(apparently targeted) and thought this would be a good time to convert the points but after talking to an Amex rep they said the sale only works on one transfer. If I were to do the biz class for 34000 points I’d just convert the 23000 mr points now.

bit it looks like biz class is sold out on all of the January Iberia flight from nyc to Barcelona? If I’m reading that right? Or is that just for paying with cash? I’ve never flown Iberia or used avios so I may be looking at this wrong?
you can have the best of both worlds. I agree with the others on the thread who suggest you just pay for the ticket with cash considering the low fare and you being ok with flyng economy for 7-8 hours. I would encourage you to take advantage of the 40% bonus offer and maybe use those points for a future trip. I took advantage of the bonus this weekend; the mile transfer from MR to Avios came in about 30 seconds. However, beware when booking a ticket, especially if its business class - you will get hit with surcharges and you will have to pay to select your seat which I think is the most ridiculous and frivolous thing ever. I booked one way BCN to Washington DC for Summer 2020; the fuel surcharge (on British) was $270 and to select a biz class seat - they wanted $125+