FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - YUL MCT inbound TK outbound AC on UA award
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:11 pm
nas6034

Originally Posted by eigenvector
You may be right, but I should highlight the risk that having been informed that they've inadvertently given OP an illegal connection, UA forces him to change it to an even less optimal itinerary. It's an award ticket, and if there's no award space on TK IST-EWR, and the existing itinerary is illegal, UA may force him on a worse routing on UA metal (probably just a later flight out of YUL) rather than buying revenue space on TK. In my experience, if there's an option to get you to your destination on UA metal (albeit with more connections), that's likely what you'll get.

There have been occurrences where UA has purchased revenue seats to accommodate award ticket holders in the past (notably when they abruptly made SFO-AKL seasonal), but it's generally only in extraordinary circumstances. The degree of accommodation will also likely depend on OP's status, if any, with UA.

Of course, all this is moot if IST-EWR has available award space for the desired date.

I am not sure if some where out there is award space but I don’t see UA having it available or else I would’ve chose the optimal connection. Would any of you know if there is a way to check if there is award space? My other choice may be that once I arrive in IST I ask them if there is space to NY directly as the MCT is not enough. Though I doubt it’ll be that easy. duly noted on trying to fix it now as UA May give a suboptimal routing.