FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Star Partner Awards with Aeroplan
View Single Post
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:02 pm
opentag

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by SusanDK
I've just created an Aeroplan account to search for Star Alliance award flights between MCO-CPH. I don't currently have any Aeroplan miles but have plenty AmEx Membership Rewards points that transfer.

Star has several good one-stop itineraries for our route, e.g. AC via YYZ; LH via FRA; SK via IAD/EWR. My search is showing good availability for an outbound in September, but availability for returns in December are all 2-stops which we'd prefer to avoid.

Thanks!
Hi - a few thoughts: You're probably best to avoid LH and AC if you can as Aeroplan passes along *significant* surcharges for those carriers. In attempting to route with only 1 stop I'd say the UA/SK combo is the way to go.
The Aeroplan site is actually really unreliable when it comes to spiting out the best routing. If you can get what you want for it - great - otherwise you can find the segments you actually want, call in and book that way ($30/person call in fee but often well worth it). Many use FlightConnections to find possible routes then the UA points booking flexible calendar search to check if segments are available.
As you mentioned there are many dates in Sept. when MCO-IAD-CPH or MCO-EWR-CPH would work.
For Dec. there is good availability for both CPH-EWR & CPH-IAD for the first half of the month, it appears more limited for the UA legs to MCO. There are IAD or EWR to MCO flights showing that would work on Dec 7, 9 & 10 so if any of those work you should be good to go. Call in and you should be able to book now. One other note. While IAD or EWR to MCO flights aren't showing up on other Dec. dates on the UA search, CPH-MCO through either *is* showing on 1 stop itineraries likely indicating they're set up as married segments. That would mean that you could potentially also get other first half of Dec. dates if you tell the Aeroplan agent to look for a married segment on that route.
Hope this is helpful and apologies if any is info you already knew!