FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I guess I still don't understand upgrade lists
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:38 am
Baze
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrAlex
There are a number of scenarios that could have lead to your situation. The first that comes to mind is there was a companion to one of the people at #1 or #2 . This is a common problem as described by James on several occasions. Sometimes the companion is listed below others on the UG list, and sometimes they aren't even on the list. Another possibility is a SDC or IRROPS change of a paid F customer. Yet another possibility would be a U upgraded SDC passenger that was incorrectly processed ahead of you. I've been in your situation several times and often I get equal if not better service in PC, but just with a less comfortable seat. You likely weren't slighted, but you may want to drop an AS listens note to (yet again) know the UG list is murky at best.

ETA: did you glance at the awaiting seats list by chance? Sometimes that has the mystery upgraded person.
I booked the flight about 30 hours before departure and checked in right at 24 hours. At first I was #2 on the list with only 2 people. Within about 3 hours there were 5 on the list and I was #3 . The list never changed from that point until about 1 hour before departure when 3 went off the list and only 2 remaining. I was 1 of the 2 remaining and ended at #1 . There were very few on the awaiting seats list and they all got seats in the back. So the upgrade list never changed with 5 people on it from T-21 hours to T-1 hour. None of the names matched even close on the list. But yes, I know companions don't have to have the same name.