FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - International award flight on Japan Air, and connection with AA Luggage Question
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:52 am
tylerdurden4543

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by dsruff
Hey all,

I was lucky enough to snag first class seats from ORD to NRT and back through award redemption for 80k from AA. This will give me 3 bags at 70lbs for free, my guess is I will have 2 bags and under 50lbs each. My ultimate starting and ending destination is going to be DTW. I have thought about potentially driving DTW->ORD and back, but I would rather fly DTW->ORD. If I book an AA flight on that route is there any way to get my bags checked through. After DTW-> ORD I would actually have to leave the secure area and get my bags and then recheck them, and I know when I come back from NRT->ORD I won't have to leave the secure area but I would have to recheck with an agent. So if over the weight limit, bag limit, etc I would owe for a short 1 hour domestic flight when I was just able to get them for free from Japan to Chicago. I would be able to get one back free with the credit card on the domestic leg if it doesn't link, but would have to pay for the second or third. Maybe even more important is the time I will need to plan for leaving security time wise at ORD and rechecking the bags. I was not planning on flying first DTW->ORD or on the return leg.

Any suggestions on what the best route to go is?

I had booked this through the phone and the agent said I could not book DTW->ORD (AA) and ORD->NRT (JL) in the same reservation, but I see that option is sometimes available on their website now that you can book JL on the website. I can't find a specific example because I just looked and was curious of the points it would have cost... If this would of been booked this way would it be the 80k for ORD->NRT + the points for DTW->ORD?

Any better way to book this for next time?

PS I saw some recent threads, similar question with SEA airport but it was more directed and entering/leaving security, I am pretty sure I know the answer to this and that is I will have to leave ORD security when arriving from DTW but can stay in security at ORD when arriving from NRT.

Thanks for all the help!
Originally Posted by dsruff
May have answered one of my own questions, I can find on aa.com now NRT->LAX(JL) LAX->ORD(AA) ORD->DTW(AA) for 80K, so the additional leg is at no additional cost. Although I could not find NRT->ORD (JL) and ORD->DTW(AA), is there anyway for me to have the reservation changed, or is that not going to be possible? Thanks again!
-Technically, AA rules say they won't check through bags on two separate PNRs (even if all AA). So, you would have to leave the secure area, collect bags, re-check and re-clear security after flying DTW-ORD. You may get lucky and find an agent at DTW willing to check them through, especially since flying F to Tokyo, but the system would still flag you as owing bag fees.

-You would arrive terminal 5 after flying NRT-ORD, so in any case you would need to collect your bags, go through customs, re-check those bags (in terminal 5), leave secure area, go from terminal 5 to terminal 3, and re-clear security before flying ORD-DTW.

-Best bet is to try and get DTW-//-NRT all on one ticket as you've identified. Generally can't change arriving or departing airports without redepositing miles (fee if not EXP); could always call and ask or wait for a schedule change.