FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:25 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I don't know who strongly believes that (passive voice groan). I on the other hand *have* read of specific experiences. This has been discussed numerous times in this thread. (Posts 876, 948, etc.) If the hotel front desk charges it, there's no reason to believe there wouldn't be a credit. Amex doesn't get a break down of what kind of charges each item on a bill is. The problem is if a restaurant or spa actually has its own merchant account and processes the charge separately.
​​it is no different than the dozens of people who had the credit applied to charges they settled with the hotel when they used points to pay for the room.

If you can't take the time to read about people's experiences, please don't speculate and pronounce an authoritative baseless view.

Cheers.
First: chill, dude (active rolling of eyes )

Passive voice: yeah, agree that it's certainly not the highest form or writing However, I was rushing off to the gym and did not have time then to gather specifics. "Some people" or "A number of people" would have been as vague. So, I used passive voice, But fear not kind respondent- I am back with specifics!

Speculation: Hardly. The T&Cs are quite definitive and unambiguous. "...must be charged to your room..." is clear and unambiguous. By rule this should not work. Definitively. Now, whether there are exceptions due to coding mistakes is a different issue. Of course, people have earned miles on award tickets, gotten more EQM, EQD, EQ<whatever> than entitled to get. Answer as to rule: definitively no, but you may get an exception. It has somewhere, at some time, happened to someone.

As to real data (and I now see that strongly was an overstatement as I recalled more support for this than I found, but the point is still valid )

This post, cited by you as an example, actually says that it did not work for just the restaurant
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31313621-post948.html

This post doesn't list any examples, just says that "others" have gotten it, without specification
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31193501-post876.html

In fact, with searching on a couple of terms, was not able to find a post that explicitly said "I did not stay, dined at a restaurant and got the credit." Certainly neither of the two you cited.

So, yeah, pretty definitive from the wording and no confirmed (that I could find) DP of an actual hit.

Adam1222, it's good to have a Keeper of the Flame here to keep watch on things. Be ever vigilant and don't let that flame go out!

Peace our y'all.

Cheers.