FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Book through United or Chase UR?
View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:35 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coloradotraveler
jsloan guess I’m worried about booking the condo now and then finding out the most reasonable flights didn’t land on those days . And if I wait until four months out or so, I definitely won’t have any wiggle room in changing the dates of the condo . Am i missing something ?
No, you're not really missing anything. It's just that I can tell you right now when the cheapest flights will end up being: Tuesday and Wednesday. (For continental US flights, I'd add Saturday, but Saturday flights are reasonably popular to the islands). I'm guessing that you don't want to fly Tuesday and Wednesday -- which is why the prices will be cheapest on those days.

If you see a price that you're comfortable with when the flights are first available, then, by all means, book it. But, if not, you have to make a decision: book now at a price that you don't like, or wait. My advice would be to wait, because the chance is good that the fare will come down, and the chance is small that that the fare will go up appreciably if it starts at a level you don't like.

It's a little late in the year to do this comparison, but if I wanted to fly from Austin to Lihue this Saturday, for a one-week stay, the fare comes to $733 (Basic Economy) or $823 (regular economy). In Ultimate Rewards points, that'd be 49K basic / 55K regular (with Chase Sapphire Reserve) or 59K/66K (with Chase Freedom). If I were to book the same trip for the last pair of Saturdays on the schedule (July 11-18), it's $1051-$1251. I suspect that if I were to repeat this same search again (for late July) in January, the fare would not have increased, and might well have gone down.