FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Most Unrealistic Connection Times
View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:34 am
sbm12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Is there a somewhat comprehensive site showing Minimum and Sensible Connecting Times at airports across the world?
Would be handy to have and an excellent resource for us all.
Not public/free. ExpertFlyer offers it but only as a subscription.

Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
I never accept an international connection time less than 2 hours - any airport in the world
A choice you're free to make, but one that comes with trade-offs. Many onward connections at airports around the world are timed at under two hours. Booking outside of those potentially means very long/overnight stops, fare breaks or other problems that have real costs associated with them.

I booked an unprotected "connection" (i.e. separate flights; I'd be screwed if I missed) of 90 minutes in Zurich last January. I had time to visit the lounge. Ditto a short stop in LHR last summer, coming in from PER and continuing to DUB on separate tickets. I had to be at events at both ends of the trip and that was the flight timing that made it happen. Of course, it could've gone badly and I would have had to pay to fix it. But I went in knowing that risk. I even made a 30 or 40 minute connection in MUC from bus gate to bus gate. I've also had to buy my way out of such problems on a booking with a far longer time between flights.

The reality is that the vast majority of flights on a global scale operate on time, and that the vast majority of passengers make their MCT connections. Maybe there's some stress. Maybe a bit of jogging. But most of the time it all works just fine. Choosing to insure against that by forcing different bookings is optional, and still no guarantee.