FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Complete Run Around-14 Days in Africa with no luggage
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:57 pm
paulbtravel

Programs: AA 2 million miler; Marriott LT Titanium; Alaska 75K
Complete Run Around-14 Days in Africa with no luggage

Looking for a little guidance. I will try to keep my story very abbreviated. Booked an award business ticket SFO-DFW(AA)-DFW-DOH(QR)-DOH-JNB(QR)-JNB-VFA(BA). On the SFO-DFW flight, maintenance preformed a software upgrade to navigation system on the changeover. Captain allowed everyone off the plane. This took 3 1/2 hrs. so I was going to miss my DFW-DOHA flight. Gate agent said only option was to move to all BA SFO-LHR-JNB-VFA with only coach available SFO-LHR. I agreed as this was a 14 day safari and any major delays would cause significant logistical issues (ground transfers and bush flights). Agent put in order to have bags pulled off the plane. Wife's bag made it no problem on first request but after frantic racing around airport and complete incompetence in baggage department mine was left on the SFO-DFW flight. I did not see this bag until 18 days later and I had been home for 2 days...For anyone who has been on safari knows, this was borderline catastrophic. Spent $750 USD in JNB airport trying to find items to just get by but was impossible to replace many things and the quality was crap. No hat, gloves, heavy jacket (temps sub 5 C every morning), tripod, flashlights, field guides, etc. Oh no underwear to buy at JNB airport, had to go 18 days with only 2 pair...to top this off, credit card was compromised at one of the stores, two days into trip credit card was turned off! Needless to say, this every expensive trip was severely compromised. Also, when my bag arrived home my shoes, flashlights and jacket were all missing.

I have tried the usual customer complaint link on AA website and even sent two emails to Sean Bentel (VP Customer Relations). Mr. Bentel never replies but has a customer service rep with no email reply capability, tell me to contact BA as they are who I actually flew with. BA didn't loose my bag, AA did. I don't believe the customer service reps have even read my correspondence which via the site is limited to 2000 characters, my situation is complex and 2000 characters isn't enough.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed?

Thanks for reading through this long post.

Last edited by paulbtravel; Aug 19, 2019 at 3:56 pm Reason: spelling