FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OneWorld No Longer a Fit, What Would You Do?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:21 pm
diver858

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Short answer: Based on the very limited information provided in the OP, I would find some cheap MRs, make an effort to hit 2mm before making any drastic changes.

FWIW, my road warrior days ended shortly before I reached 2mm, just prior to Parker's hostile takeover of AA, did a bunch of aspirational MRs (don't believe in a "bucket list") to push me over the top - ASU, BOG, LIM.

Around the same time, AS started to increase service out of my home SAN, building a nonstop network that happens to fit my current travel patterns quite well - all Hawaiian islands, BOS, EWR, MCO, SJC, STS - to where I am able to earn MVPG for several years running.

I still end up on AA several times per year, as LT PLT is a very nice perk when it makes more sense to fly someone other than AS.

Most OW carriers have reciprocal arrangements with AS, where your lifetime sapphire status should also come in handy - regardless of if/when AS ever formally joins the alliance. AS maintains alliances with carriers beyond OW, which might also prove to be beneficial.

Not sure of your beef with AS - their first class seats are meh, I consider them tolerable for up to 5-6 hours at a time, consistent with AA narrow body first - my only AA option out of SAN. At least for now, the Mileage plan does not have a revenue requirement, has the lowest qualification thresholds, most generous when it comes to upgrades - Y+ and F.