FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - In flight car seats in first class
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:43 am
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
My wife and I are thinking if going to visit family in Fort Lauderdale in Jan. My son is under 2 so eligible for as a lap child but me moves so much and hates being held, it’s not a realistic option.

Willing to pay for the 3 seats (us and car seat) in F for the extra space but I can’t find anything online to confirm that they are allowed in F.
Yes
BUT
You may use an FAA-approved child restraint system (CRS) or child safety seat in certain seats on board the aircraft if you have purchased a seat for your child, including customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket. United does not provide child restraint systems or child safety seats.

The FAA has approved the use of the child safety restraint system CARES (Child Aviation Restraint System) for travel. This system uses an additional belt and shoulder harness that goes around the back of the seat and attaches to the lap belt. Children weighing between 22 and 44 pounds may use this device. More information about CARES and other child restraint requirements is available at faa.gov/travelers/fly_children/.

Child safety seats or restraint systems must be placed in window seats on single-aisle aircraft, and in window seats or in the middle seats of a center section on two-aisle aircraft. To ensure the child’s safety, the use of child restraint systems is not permitted in rear-facing seats or seats directly in front of, behind or in the exit row on any aircraft. Child safety seats or restraint systems are also not permitted in first class on three-cabin 767 or 777-200 aircraft, on 757-200 aircraft with rear-facing seats, or in United Polaris® business class on 767, 777 and 787 aircraft.

Car seats manufactured after February 1985 should also be certified for use in aircraft. You should place your child in the child safety seat for takeoff, landing and during turbulence.

Booster seats, belly belts attached to adult seat belts, and vests or harnesses that hold an infant to an adult’s chest cannot be used on board the aircraft.

United is unable to seat customers under the age of 15 in exit rows due to federal regulation.
For a discussion on why the the exempttion of the lie-flat seats , see Polaris business between 77W or 787-9 when traveling as couple w/ infant

Originally Posted by COEWR2587
Which leads to question 2. If they are, the flights vary from A320, to 737 and a 757 200. Obvious the 757 w flat beds would be the nicest, but do those lie flat seats have restrictions on it? I reached out to United and crickets.
See above
Child safety seats or restraint systems are also not permitted in first class on three-cabin 767 or 777-200 aircraft, on 757-200 aircraft with rear-facing seats, or in United Polaris® business class on 767, 777 and 787 aircraft.
related thread
Woman claims UA flight attendant forced infant daughter to sit in dangerous position

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 18, 2019 at 11:53 am Reason: related thread