Old Aug 17, 19, 1:28 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LordDenton View Post
A couple of months ago I booked a flight out of ORD at 2:25pm on December 24 with a connection in FRA (inside Schengen). The flight was to leave ORD at 2:25 pm, layover for 5 hours in FRA, and then take the next leg to my final destination (FCO).

I randomly checked my reservation today and noticed that United had somehow moved me to the flight out of ORD at 6:05pm. No notification or anything like that... But United's IT is besides the point. This change leaves me with only 1hr of connection time in FRA

After searching flight options seems there is now literally only one direct flight on that day: the UA at 6:05pm. Not even LH is flying that day.

My question is: should I wait for the 2:25 pm flight to eventually return or should I already rebook myself with a connection out of say IAD? I really hate adding a domestic connection to such a flight because of high chance of IRROPS during that season.
Is there even a chance the 2:25 pm flight will return?
likely not. Around the holidays, they reduce frequency on certain days due to reduced business demand. In fact, we flew to India via FRA last year on Xmas day, and when looking around, noting hat different frequencies werenít running. The day we flew out, both UA FRA flights were running, but I think the LH one didnít. On Xmas eve and day after Xmas, only one of the two were running, IIRC.

This comes up up multiple times a year - with people wondering why X flight isnít running on whatever day around Xmas, Thanksgiving or New Years. For some international destinations, they rotate hubs. For example, to NRT, the SFO, DEN and IAD flights might run one day around the holidays, while they wonít run the following day and LAX, ORD and IAH will. Those are examples only.

UA isnít the only carrier to do this around this time. For example, going onto BLR from FRA, which is typically daily on LH, they only run I think 4 x that Xams week, or at least did last year.