FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Federal judge issues permanent injunction against AA mechanics union
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:13 pm
flyingeph12

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CPRich
Probably the same way the initial order was supported. AA convinced the judge, through some collection of evidence evidence, that the mechanics were doing what they claimed.

If AA comes back later and convinces the judge, with subsequent evidence, the judge will find that the union has violated the order and probably fine the bejeezus out of them.
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
+1. This happened to the AA pilot's union in 1999, for violating the federal judge's order not to encourage a sickout. A judgement of $46 million was issued against the union. It would have bankrupted the union, but they negotiated (away) the judgement in the next pilot contract.
Enjoining a sickout in the pilot union's case versus enjoining "any form of disruption to or interference with American’s airline operations" in this case seems like very different things to me. What constitutes "disruption" or "interference"? In theory, any mechanical delay—even a legitimate one—is an "interference" with or "disruption" of AA's operations. How is a federal judge going to be able to determine the bogus delays from the real ones? I have no doubt AA could provide evidence showing violation of the injunction, given the extremely vague (and to me broad) language of the order.