FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:11 am
KeaneJohn

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by subject2load
@KeaneJohn - interesting update, thanks.

Like so many others with forward bookings, I am very much hoping for a no-strike settlement.

In making what they term a ‘final offer’ but one which was not readily accepted by the BALPA team, BA have taken a gamble ..... in fact, quite a significant one. The offer could prove to be adequate - in which case, all is well.

However .....if not ........ well, it seems to me that even the most junior pilots could survive as individuals / families for a number of weeks, on reduced pay (or even no pay at all) ; whereas the cost implications, and long-term damage, arising from even a very short strike would surely be rather more intolerable for BA as a worldwide business.

In the face of only a short period of chaos caused by strike action, the airline would, in all probability, be forced to move its position again, meaning further concessions. I guess I’m stating the obvious in saying that BA really need to think carefully as to whether if it’s really worth delaying the inevitable.
Look at the disruption the IT outage caused. BALPA could have issued strike dates like HAL did to focus BA a bit. From what I gather in this thread they reached deadlock previously, BALPA said they would issue strike dates and BA resumed a couple of days of talks. BA have upset the pilots by with the legal challenge and appeal and if BA have been hoping to avoid action over the Bank Holiday and centenary weekend they will have stirred up a hornets nest.

Whilst iI would say that pilots might be able to ride out not being paid a bit better than cabin crew it won’t take more than a couple of days tactical planning to decimate BAs flight schedule for a while. I really hope it doesn’t come to that but can’t second guess the outcome, it could go either way.