FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Under PEAK award the 35k free nights don't get you a Cat. 5 but only Cat. 4!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:05 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by swag
I agree that this is the biggest pain point of peak pricing going into effect. If you're paying in points, an increase from 35K to 40K is about a 15% increase, about what we might be used to with the inevitable periodic devaluations. Paying with a cert, though, you're 100% SOL.

Before the merger, the Marriott certs were good for a 25K hotel. A decade ago, they were pretty useful, but after years of category creep, they became much harder to use, especially in examples like yours of domestic big city redemptions. Bumping the cert value to 35K largely resolved that, but as peak awards roll out, that solution will be fleeting.
some of us retaining the old Marriott credit card still receive the 25k certs...which will obviously be worth less now. I wonder if part of this is ends up motivatimg folks like me to switch to the new card.

I’m not surprised by this move as it was previously announced, but it’d be nice if Cat 5 off peak were 25k and Cat 6 off peak was 35k to throw a bone to the folks with the free night certs.