FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it just me, or is 4S declining?
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:38 pm
MikeFromTokyo

Originally Posted by scented
I agree with you, Mike, on almost all your points in this thread, though I have to say I wish Rosewood would have been the answer to all our (hospitality) prayers, but for me at least, this is not case.

They do have some wonderful properties and they have the means and people to deliver amazing experiences. However, interestingly they have more properties which do not appeal to me than those who I find appealing for various reasons, more than FS. But I guess this is more of a personal issue than anything else. Rosewood London does not work at all for me, for example. The service is fine under Michael Bonsor, but the design is somewhat underwhelming and I find many rooms don't work for me. Castiglion del Bosco is a bit bland, though my experience is limited to one of the villas a few years back. Abu Dhabi stands no chance compared to the neighboring FS. Phuket is a never ending design catastrophe and does not really warrant a visit. Bangkok I have yet to visit, but sounds promising -- although more akin to a business hotel with some leisure qualities, possibly also due to the location I see this as more of a contender to the St Regises or Waldorfs of Bangkok, rather than MO, Siam, Pen. Baha Mar is actually damaging to the brand and should either be rebranded or see a major revamp, this was not the best choice. But then again, Crillon is wonderful and one of the Rosewoods I simply adore with some many wonderful qualities. As you mentioned, Phnom Penh is fantastic and truly one of a kind. Beijing is easily in the top 3 of the city and walks all over FS there, so another highlight surely. Haven't tried HK yet, but reports here indicate it is one of the finest already. So yes, I agree with you Rosewood is to be taken seriously, but even they don't have the consistency yet.

I think Rosewood has an advantage as they were able to score some great talent and experienced hoteliers over the years and either they themselves developed world class locations and real estate (HK) or they found trophy properties together with a great and solid partner (Paris). But I wish they would develop their brand a little more emotionally, after the novelty wears off and teams switch to newer kids on the block, what is their core? A sense of place is nice, but there has to be another aspect!
Very good points. I of course am viewing Rosewood with a bit of a sampling bias, because I travel a lot in the places I mentioned in which Rosewood is particularly excellent. There are, however, apparently properties that are less consistent.

There is another Rosewood coming to London. Siem Reap is also another future opening that is much anticipated.

Four Seasons is and always has been my top choice in many of its best locations, and even in “second tier” locations FS is often a solid, dependable choice. I just really value the Four Seasons vision, and have many cherished memories at fine FS hotels. So, in a perfect world I would prefer to see FS be a little more selective as to where they open, to be sure to consistently remain the best.