FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it just me, or is 4S declining?
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:22 pm
MikeFromTokyo

Originally Posted by bhrubin
FS has many outstanding properties. The difference really is that the gap between them and other properties has narrowed or doesn't exist at all any more.
I would be the first to admit that all major groups have outstanding properties. And while it is entirely true that the gap between FS/MO/Peninsula and other brands had closed in some markets, this is not only due to the rise of other brands, but also in many markets it is unfortunately also a result of a subtle but real dilution of quality/consistency within FS as a result of its getting a bit too big.

I think even with the best of intentions, getting too big inherently poses these risks for any brand. Aman is no less susceptible to these pitfalls than FS or any other major group is.

FS has its exceptional hotels that are still as wonderful as ever, but there are increasingly some other locations that have cashed in on the Four Seasons name, but that do not really have the sheer quality to back up the FS name in the same way that the best properties do.

Originally Posted by nmuva98
I haven't made it to a Rosewood yet, but as MikefromTokyo points out above, sounds like they have promise. Would love to do the treehouse one outside of Luang Prabang!
Roswood really is an exceptional hotel group and should be taken very seriously. Yes, Rosewood Luang Prabang is excellent. Rosewood Phnom Penh is an absolutely amazing hotel, especially given that they put together a team of wonderful local staff a few years ago that had no experience in hotels of this level, as it is the first of its kind in the Cambodian capital. Today, that team not only is doing well, but the service quality is frankly better than it is in many more developed luxury hotel markets. Other noteworthy properties are opening or have opened in Yangon, Myanmar, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Bangkok, etc...

There is also a rumor that Rosewood will acquire Villa d’Este and lavish a fortune on updating it to have service and modern comfort that is commensurate with its legendary grounds, architecture, and location.

The question for Four Seasons, MO, Peninsula, and other brands now is not whether or not Rosewood will catch up to them, but frankly what they are going to need to do preemptively to up their games in order to stay competitive with Rosewood.