FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Received points and stay credit I cancelled?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:41 am
Repooc17
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
They points may stick, or they may get clawed back. And don't bet your status on keeping the stay credit.
Noted ^

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I had a similar issue with this two years back with Hilton (I cancelled a room online; it was a non-refundable-after-24-hours reservation but I cancelled within 24 hours).

In my case, it took a lengthy fight with my credit card to "force off" the resulting charges. The hotel ended up losing because they claimed that I had checked in (I did not, and I had a demonstrated check-in at another hotel in another city), so I suspect the CC decided "you lie, you lose". So if you've got the call in a log (say, with your cell phone company) and a decent CC you might be able to hit them for a chargeback...particularly given the false check-in if you can demonstrate you were elsewhere.
I am not asking for $ back, at least not all of it. I cancelled a reservation where I was charged 100% of the rate shortly after booking. The cancellation is voluntary and I was looking to recovery 10%. Pleasantly surprised with points/stay credit prior to the 10% inquiry.