FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:50 am
radonc1

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by San Gottardo

I recognise how putting the jacket on complies with the rule, but now with the spirit of the rule, which is to limit cabin luggage to two pieces for overhead/under seat. Whether I wear that jacket or carry it myself will not take more or less space overhead/under the seat, and take up as much space in the wardrobe. I get it, I'll behave accordingly, but I find it absurd......
In the end, thanks for explanations, now I know that a jacket under cover is considered a piece of luggage. It does not make to me and I don't see how that makes boarding faster or frees up space in the bins or under seats, but I accept it and will plan accordingly......

Seems like random decision of individuals.
When we make rules, we define boundaries.....
I may drive 55 km/hr in a 50 km/hr zone and pass 50 LEOs who will let me drive on. But one may stop and cite me for speeding. My defense cannot be..
"I have driven this road 100 times prior to this at 55 km/hr and no one has stopped me before. Why now?"
And the answer always will be... "Because you are going 5 km/hr over the posted speed limit."

My wife travels with her carry-on, personal item and a small purse. Most times the GAs say nothing when she boards, but occasionally someone will mention 3 items. She then tosses her purse into the personal item and consolidates to 2. She may even be proactive when she sees other people being stopped for the same reason prior to boarding.

Some AA attendants will fuss over the rule and others will not. You may think it is absurd but obviously they do not. You already have described your very satisfactory solution to your problem. I personally would not change what you have been doing in the past, but if someone makes a fuss, wear the jacket and fold the plastic into your briefcase or carry-on.
Problem solved!