Old Aug 14, 19, 8:27 am
laangelsfan

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
No bed available; compensation suggestion?

Last night I found myself in an unusual situation at a Marriott. I had to work very late (3am) and to ensure I wasn’t marked as a no show, I called the hotel around 10pm and told them I would still be checking in but later, and they indicated no issues. When I arrived at the hotel around 3am, the front desk receptionist indicated there was an issue, and that there were no rooms with beds available, however they had put me in a “hospitality suite” with a pull out sofa for the night (and that tomorrow I could switch to a normal room). She said they were fully sold out otherwise. I asked about other hotels which she was relatively clueless about I couldn’t see availability in the app for last night because it was already 3am and the app at that point only shows you nights for the “next” day. They offered to comp the room (which is being covered by my work), and I told them I wanted points but didn’t get into the details. I probably would’ve put up a bigger fuss or just left but it was so late/early and I didn’t have a car. So I accepted the room and got to my room to find the pullout sofa, but with no pillows and no comforter, just a thin blanket on it. At this point I didn’t want to deal with going back down for a pillow so I just used a towel for a pillow and went to sleep (which was quite poor).

I’m a Titanium elite but had to book this reservation about 28 hours ahead of the normal check in time. I’m not sure “Ultimate Night Guarantee” applies here since I didn’t officially get walked but I certainly didn’t get my room type or a reasonable room with a bed. I plan to speak to the manager today but wanted to solicit thoughts on compensation (hoping in the form of points). To me it was so odd to even put me in a room like this but to also not have things on the bed or in the room (pillows) was the frustrating icing on the cake.