FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New destination: SCR
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:24 am
JR67

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by GUWonder

The drive from Malmo to St Anton am Arlberg is over 14 hours, and there is no rest when driving, whether or not doing it in one day or over two.

Driving is more dangerous and maybe otherwise more costly than taking a flight or train to ski in Sweden.

The cost for ski rentals and accommodations on the slope are cheaper in Åre and Sälen than in Austria, at least when planned in advance. The costs for ski school are lower (and often free for young kids) at these two Skistar places in Sweden than they are in St Anton in Austria. Food prices? Austria isn’t cheap either. Are the Austrian ski conditions better in December and January? Yes, but I do most of my northern hemisphere skiing in February and March and then it’s more of a wash with weather and lift hours.
You do get a break on the ferry, and the northern Austrian resorts can be made in 12 hrs... We leave on Friday morning and stay the night in a hotel close to the Austrian border so we can get the skis and everything on the Saturday. Ski passes in Åre are roughly the same as Kitzbühel. I don't know about lodging - I rent a ski-in, ski-out house for 3000 Euro/week, but it will hold 9 people so that seems quite reasonable. We drive home in one day, which is a bit tough on the kids, but they don't complain, thanks to iPads and phones...

My biggest problem with Sweden is the lack of sun. My idea of skiing is put on skis, ski down to the lift from the house, up to the top. Beer in the sun, followed by more beer in the sun. Kitzbühel has better skiing than Åre, MUCH better slope restaurants, and the beer is only 4 euros for a 50cl hefe...

Plus, I like the road trips. But you can always fly to MUC just as cheap as OST... :-)