FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Big UPGRADE Thread – all you need to know about AY upgrades
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:45 pm
ffay005

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I spent last week in Porto. Everyone I encountered was very friendly, and spoke English surprisingly well, until I reached the AY check-in desk at OPO. Not only was the agent unfriendly, she was also completely clueless. It was a 4+ hour flight, with a scheduled arrival at 2:55 am and an expected delay of one hour (we ended up touching down only about 15–20 minutes behind schedule, though!), and I actually thought I could pay for an upgrade. Row 1 was reserved for J and availability was 4.

When I asked the agent if it's possible to pay for an upgrade to J, she looked at me as if I had two heads, or three, and after the little grey cells inside her head had accidentally popped together, she shook her head and said "No" in an unsure voice. Clearly she had no idea what I was talking about. Then I asked her: "How full is the flight?" and she replied with "Yes".

I wonder if Janica's Portuguese cousin could find some other place to work that would suit her capabilities better.