FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A grand congratulations to Northwest/Delta Flight Attendant Joan Crandall
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:29 pm
worldwidedreamer

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by MrHockey
I'll apparently have to make myself a tad more clearer. There should be a cutoff age where you are no longer allowed to be a flight attendant. That age should be 62, once you hit 62 it's mandatory retirement.
To be honest I don't think that having a maximum age really makes sense, and in some jurisdictions might be considered discriminatory.

I think the litmus test should be can the person do the work? It looks like the AA requirements are as follows:

• Position requires some physical exertion such as pulling, pushing, reaching, bending, walking and light lifting
• Long periods of standing and speaking
• Airports ramp operations are noisy and can be hazardous without due caution
• Extensive travel, must be able to spend consecutive nights away from home and endure all climates
• Alternative work schedules including evenings and weekends
• Ability to push or pull moveable carts weighing in excess of 250 pounds
• Ability to lift objects up to 35 pounds such as galley stowage bins and carry-on baggage

The Delta careers website is not loading for me at this moment, but their requirements should be similar. The question is: can the oldest crew member physically do the job? If so, why not?