FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New destination: SCR
View Single Post
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:19 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho
Never been up there - however my kids' school has a ski trip every February to go up there and the cost is like 10000 SEK which I think it's insane. For that price I can actually fly to Denver and drive up daily to ski.

The closest place you can ski is Hallandsås from Malmö, I haven't been there but if it's a cheap solution or can only go there for a day then it's a good alternative compared to drive all the way down to Austria.
Is that for a trip when schools in the country are largely closed for the week? Those weeks tend to be expensive weeks to ski.

The price of just lift tickets, equipment rental and food and a couple of hours of group lessons for a 12-year-old skiing for 7 days at Steamboat, Aspen, Vail, Copper, Snowmass in Colorado will easily cost more than 10k SEK. The cost of the just the lift tickets at Colorado resorts are the reason why multi-resort season passes make so much sense for my relatives. Accommodations during popular domestic school break periods can easily break the bank for a lot of people. Flying into Denver to ski is a bigger pain than flying into Salt Lake City to ski, as the better ski resorts are 90+ minutes from DEN airport while they are less than half as far from SLC.

Åre and Sälen seem to be getting more and more Danish and British skiers than used to be the case several years ago, and there must be a reason for that when ski-related flight options from CPH and UK airports can more easily get to say the Alps. The SCR flights should add to Danes and Brits skiing in Sweden. It will also add to Swedes skiing in Sweden.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 13, 2019 at 10:27 am