FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New destination: SCR
View Single Post
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:06 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JR67
Just out of curiosity... Why does anyone ski in Sweden? The runs are crap. The weather is crap. The prices are way higher than Austria, The food sucks,

I live in Malmö and happily drive to Austria to avoid the pain of being in the Swedish "mountains"....
The drive from Malmo to St Anton am Arlberg is over 14 hours, and there is no rest when driving, whether or not doing it in one day or over two.

Driving is more dangerous and maybe otherwise more costly than taking a flight or train to ski in Sweden.

The cost for ski rentals and accommodations on the slope are cheaper in Åre and Sälen than in Austria, at least when planned in advance. The costs for ski school are lower (and often free for young kids) at these two Skistar places in Sweden than they are in St Anton in Austria. Food prices? Austria isn’t cheap either. Are the Austrian ski conditions better in December and January? Yes, but I do most of my northern hemisphere skiing in February and March and then it’s more of a wash with weather and lift hours.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 13, 2019 at 10:11 am