FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SFO to BOS PS Redeye with early morning meeting - strategies?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:07 am
threeoh

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The best approach is to shift to east coast time before leaving the west ( including a day earlier if possible) but plan on sleeping as soon as you get on the plane and get as close to 6 hours sleep as you can.
This is the magic trick for me. I move my schedule on hour per day until I'm on arrival time or most of the way there. So get up at 6am two days before, 5am the day before, and wake up at 4am on the day of your flight so (a) you go to sleep when you get on the plane and (b) even if you only get 3-4 hours of sleep, your body wants to wake up at 7am Boston time. You can recover the following night if you were low on sleep, but you can't recover if your body is actively trying to go to sleep during the meeting.
​​​​​
Originally Posted by jpezaris
HELL yes! The SFO/LAX/SAN to EWR/IAD/BOS redeyes definitely need to be SLOWER. The PS service could promote that as part of the luxury offered: get a full night's sleep.
If you want to see an expert example of this, check out the night trains in most of Europe -- they run them slowly on purpose so they leave at ~22:00 and arrive at ~8:00 from the main cities regardless of the organic travel time between the cities. Allows extra flexibility for track construction, etc. too obviously.