FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best value and conveniently located Marriott properties in Asia?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:41 pm
lsquare
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ftrichard
If you've not decided that hotel lounges are a significant benefit then aiming for Platinum status doesn't seem logical because the cash value of Platinum status lies primarily in lounge access (and secondly breakfast however that is delivered and however much you eat). But maybe that's just me. For me it's the most monetisable, valuable of the Platinum benefits.

In some hotels, the lounge effectively gives you full board for the price of a basic room. Go to countries like Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia where alcohol is expensive and you can literally get your room are back in booze if there are two of you. I've done it ;-).

You should check out the lounge thread to see what you will get at the hotels you're looking at. Then decide if getting these benefits has any value for you at all. It's up to you if they do or not. The benefits are clearly laid out in the T&Cs and the specific detail of how that is executed at different hotels and brands can be found in the lounge thread and the threads about each hotel. Look them up for more information. Lounge access can be bought for ~$30-$50 or thereabouts in most hotels as a room upgrade so that's the cash value of the "free" access at Platinum. But again, varies according to specific hotel so look them up in the hotel thread on here.

You should also read the specific thread on the Platinum Challenge to answer any questions you have on qualification and validity. This thread is generally on the first page of the Bonvoy forum. You are not the only one doing it and perhaps the Mods should merge this thread into the master thread on the subject.
I've never been to a hotel lounge before so I can't comment on it. I didn't think airport lounges were that important until I tried one. Now I make sure I give myself enough time to visit a lounge before I hop on a flight especially when flying within North America.

Given how often hotel lounges are mentioned here, perhaps my opinion will change once I try one.