FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA vs. SAA CPT to JNB
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:28 am
MarkP24

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by N1120A
The difference in price between business and economy, given the exchange rates, often isn't that much. We tend to purchase business seats when we fly that route, which is nearly every year. They also tend to be easy redemptions - even in the South African summer.

SAA generally has the better seat product, especially if you get a widebody. They also have a better schedule, in the case that you need to make a change. I don't care much for the catering on either. Unlike others, I find the FAs to be about the same - and much like North America, hit or miss.

As a UA*G, you get the SA lounge even in Y.

I completely disagree that the SAA lounges are nicer than any United Club. Better than LHR? Not a chance. Better than LAX? Nah. Better than the refurbished ORD clubs? Negative. Now, compared to the trash they offer at IAD - sure. Mostly, however, I find the newer UCs nicer than SAA lounges.

The SLOW Lounges are excellent though. The giant wheel of cheese alone makes it nice.

SA has the better schedule. Both are very punctual.
Thanks! This is helpful!