FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $800 from giving up my seat on a 1-hour flight, is AmEx Reward the best choice
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:52 pm
Vangrovsky

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
The funds don't expire in 6 months. The card does. If the card has a balance, you can call and request the remaining funds be rolled over to a new card.

Having said that, I am confused how you were VDB-ed on a flight you were standby for? You don't clear standby ahead of the gate...and they don't clear standbys to give them money to take another flight...

It is not usual for a gate agent to call, but some Delta agents go above and beyond in this regard. I've had one call me to help me rebook from a delayed flight because I was DM and had an international flight...and I was at the airport, just not at the gate...
it was a crazy day.... so many weather cancellations. I was on standby, but it cleared several hours earlier.(reservation status went to "Confirmed) When I got back to the airport, I went up to the gate agent just to make sure that I was definitely leaving on the flight....that was when I was asked about volunteering. I said yes, but she wasn't sure yet. About 10 minutes later, she asked around the gate area and upped the offer to $800. She needed me and one more volunteer. She showed me that she was able to rebook me on the next flight an hour and half later.

I walked over to my new flight three gates away. The crazy thing was that the gate agent there was half way into an announcement asking for volunteers. (also offering $800 gift cards) If I had had the time, I would have easily volunteered again.