FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:55 pm
hoyt

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond; Marriott LT Titanium; Long live SPG... f MAR
Originally Posted by BLTraveler
Other tidbits:
- They said they used to allow 3rd party transfers but guests complained about their “privacy”. Pretty sure this is a lie and guests were instead complaining that they paid 300% more for their transfer.
- Waldorf said they will look into contacting guests sooner and adding info to the website clearly stating prices and transfer restriction. Good idea, but hopefully it shows up prominently during the booking process on the website and mobile app.
Sounds like they admitted changing their policy. They can't change their policy to a mandatory transfer after you make a reservation, and certainly not after the cancellation policy. That's similar to them changing the wording from one way to return, but still honoring the original pricing (which is much more inline with what the market should sustain).

I arrive within the cancellation window and am in the same situation as you. I will not back down on this. The "resort's private yacht" is a complete ripoff. I'm fine paying top dollar for food and things that will add to the enjoyment of my vacation, the pictures of this yacht (and lack of services) in no way make me want to pay that exorbitant fee. At other times I have used resort's transfers, even though they were overpriced compared to 3rd party options, but they weren't overpriced to the tune of $1k. I'll be interested to see if they contact me at all.