FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ideas for a solo trip, February/March 2020.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:06 am
Romelle

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I'd do a cruise off Florida, or whichever US area is easy for your air transportation - New York, Boston, New Orleans, Galveston or Los Angeles. Your life sounds busy enough that some peace and quiet would be a good thing. While cruises do have all sorts of activity, noise and excitement, I've learned I can find an entirely different experience on one. Quiet corners where one can read, while occasionally looking out at the passing water. A library. Buffet meals so one isn't required to dress up, sit too long, and try to make polite conversation with strangers. Simply wandering the various ports of call. Interesting watching as the ship arrives and departs places. Sunrises and sunsets.

There are occasional semi-educational events on a ship, if you look very carefully for them.

I did a quick check, and there are many cruise choices under $500 for your dates. And airfare to LAX and Houston just over $300.

The motion of the ship is great for sleeping.

Great work-out equipment.

There are a very few ships with singles cabins, but otherwise you will have to pay the "single supplement" which essentially doubles the rate. However, there are some good sales that make this still reasonable.

No car to park, no checking into and out of different rooms.

Depending upon where your family condo is, you might be able to use it for the important night-before-cruise. Lots of web sites out there for searching, but I find www.vacationstogo.com particularly easy for pinpointing specific dates and other requirements.

I really didn't think cruises were for people like me. Don't gamble, don't do "night life", don't like noise, don't like formality, etc. But learned there are so many possibilities on a big ship that I could structure an experience just right for me. And occasionally I do end up enjoying discussions with a few folk. It is just not required.

Last edited by Romelle; Aug 9, 2019 at 11:39 am