FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, Maui [Master Thread]
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:24 pm
dcr

Programs: UA 2P, Hyatt Gold
My wife and I stayed there last December for her 50th birthday. Overall, it was a great experience! The staff was friendly (particularly Edith - the Front of the Hotel manager), the food at the restaurants always very good, and the room amenities typically very good Ritz.

Now for the caveats: I had booked a "full ocean view" room for the "big event". However, when we arrived around 7:30 p.m., we were taken to a room apparently facing the pool/gardens. Because it was dark, we could not tell exactly what the view was. However, the next morning, we found that ALL the regular rooms face this way. The hotel is set up with wings running perpendicular to the ocean. So, the only rooms with an actual straight-on ocean view are the suites at the end of the halls.

After much discussion the next day, the front desk offered me an upgrade to one of the ocean view suites for an extra $150 a day - which I grabbed. From then on, we were truly in paradise!

Also, since is was my wife's big birthday, a number of friends/family called the hotel and ordered gifts over the phone, using their credit cards, to be sent to our room, such as a gift cert for the spa (which is very nice) and a bottle of top shelf booze. However, apparently due to front office/admin mistakes, I had to push for two days to get them acknowledged/delivered to our room. But once they realized their mistake, they upgraded the spa cert and threw in a free hand-made sugarless ice cream cake for our trouble.

So, all in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to go again.