FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:03 am
subject2load

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by CeeGee

They now decide to have a bit of "luxury" away from a package holiday and fly independently,they have read all the sensations about Ryanair and the like but generally think that they will pay extra and travel with a "proper" airline.
They are not used to "researching" their holidays,they have only heard good things about the "proper" airlines.So they book their flights,this is when the shock kicks in,no free food and booze,paying for seat selection.This is not what they paid for(They think).
Please FT posters,have a bit of sympathy for Mr and Mrs Average,they dont have the knowledge or experience you have,yes it is one heck of a shock to find an airline you have only heard good of in the past,and now paid extra to travel with,has become not much better than the cheap package holiday flights they are used to.
(bold added)

I’m not sure this is a matter of ‘sympathy’ but I do believe your fundamental point is well-made.

To my way of thinking, it’s more about awareness.

It was only a very short while ago - when measured against the long history of the airline - that BA ceased to be a full service (or ‘premium’) airline option for short-haul economy passengers.

Ryanair, in contrast, began life as a low cost carrier and so their passengers’ expectations were aligned accordingly from day one. I just feel that it might need a good few years yet - especially for those who are perhaps only ‘annual holiday flyers’ - to get fully accustomed to the reality that the onboard experience in BA s/haul is now no different from that provided by Ryanair.

Nostalgia can be a powerful emotion.