FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please help! I had flight to GCM and now AA doesn’t fly there on tues
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:07 pm
luv2vacay

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Well, or they could have taken a refund, but that is moot.

To the OP: do you have travel insurance?

Edit: Just read GeezerCouple's post, which I agree with. My travel insurance would have provided some coverage towards this. If you do have a policy, it os worth reading the fine print.

Ad a new FT member, you are limited to 5 posts per day, so PM people in case you have specific questions.
I spent the better part of an entire day reading travel insurance policies after this happened. I only found *one* that would cover this event as a covered reason for Trip Cancellation or Trip Delay/Interruption:
Berkshire Hathaway

And it was a flight-only policy (ironically the more expensive comprehensive coverage specifically would ONLY cover carrier default/bankruptcy). And the policy that *did* cover this limited coverage to $200/ticket (ie, if you're stranded and your only choice is say, on United, and it's $800 more than what you paid, tough, you're out $600).

Yes, a Cancel for Any Reason would cover you, but only 75% (typically, I've not seen one that has higher so far) of your non-reimbursed costs.

Note, that there is *one* exception I found in this case:
IF you were going on a cruise, and the airline cancelled your *flight* and/or ceased service and you would miss your departing Cruise, THEN some policies would pay to get you there.

But I have as of yet (except for Berkshire hathaway) to find a policy that covers "airline cancelled service to my arrival destination" as a covered reason for Trip Cancellation.
I'd love to find other companies that do offer this in the the US.