FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who is this person and should I be tipping him?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:33 am
KatW
Original Member

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I do not like what tipping has become in the US. I do tip very generously all over the world when staff delight me with excellent service, but in my view it should not be something that is expected the way it often is in North America. Any good hotel should be paying staff adequately for what they do, and not relying on tips as part of their staff’s expected compensation, however that is often not the case in practice.

If someone really does give excellent service that makes a huge impact on my day, whether its something big or small, I try to acknowledge and thank the individual, and as appropriate give a nice tip in cash. I prefer to tip in cash so that staff receive it immediately and in full, as opposed to however the hotel’s accounting department handles write-in tips.

Tipping should be a meaningful gesture, and not just an automatic reflex of reaching into one’s pocket and handing out tips. It should be an acknowledgement of excellent service, and not a de facto subsidy relied upon by underpaid employees as part of their compensation.
This works well as an expression of the way tipping should work in an ideal world ... which, sadly, is not the one we normally inhabit. As you note, in the U.S. guest-facing employees at the lower levels are poorly paid and whilst I am outraged by this despicable management treatment, I am unwilling to stiff the person at the bottom of the ladder.

Yes, tip in cash whenever possible. Sometimes difficult upon arrival when traveling abroad, before getting money changed, or visiting a local atm.