FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:09 am
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Originally Posted by mshachar
There was also the issue of ex TWA workers and monies owed them as well as fear of a plane being impounded by the Israeli tax authorities... I don't think the route wasn't profitable.
I've been actively debunking that one for a long time:
As have I:
Originally Posted by TWA884
That's not correct. AMR and American Airlines never agreed to pay TWA's obligations to its Israeli employees nor was it ordered to pay them.

The Israeli court case was Ezra Berman v Trans World Airlines, Inc., Tel Aviv District Court 1225/01, 2001(1) 29448. A related case was Insolvency Case - Trans World Airlines 2005(4) 10352.

Some of the details are described in the book Private International Law in Israel by Talia Einhorn. Here is a link to the relevant on Google Books [link updated to Amazon "Look inside" relevant info is on pp. 163/4]. According to Ms. Einhorn, the court ordered that the Israeli assets of TWA be seized and sold to pay the Israeli employees in a similar manner to that used to pay TWA's employees in France. After those claims were paid, any leftover proceeds from the sale of the assets were to be turned over to the US bankruptcy court trustee for distribution among all the other creditors on an equal basis.

There weren't enough assets in Israel to satisfy the court order. The balance is owed by the of estate Trans World Airlines, Inc., in the Delaware Bankruptcy Court, not by American Airlines or its then parent AMR or its successor American Airlines Group.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 8, 2019 at 10:47 am Reason: Update link