FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best value and conveniently located Marriott properties in Asia?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:43 am
lsquare
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ftrichard
This is an independent hotel that is bookable through Marriott as part of its Design Hotel marketing affiliation. Check the hotel's own web site and you will see that the room rate includes breakfast, mini-bar, and the happy hour (actually two) in the bar. Check what you get if you book via Marriott: yes, the room. What they usually do is that first time you make a Marriott reservation they will give you the full package and tell you to book direct next time. But none of this is documented in T&Cs so you can de-risk it by booking direct by email anyway and ask to make a reservation for your dates saying you would also like your Marriott points and nights. You will get the room package by booking direct and the Bonvoy points/nights benefits.

Regarding times... it's normal for hotels to offer free-flow alcohol in lounges or bars to elites or people who otherwise qualify for fixed 2-4 hours in the evening. Not at times that the guest selects. So whether this is useful to you depends on whether you plan to be at the hotel during these "happy hours" and whether you like a drink.

Breakfast at Ovolo is best described as continental. It's a small buffet of cereals, fruit, pastries, cold cuts etc. Not a hot buffet. Personally, I don't rate it against any of the other hotels that have hot options and food stations etc. but at least it's there for free. If you're asking about these mattress run hotels to gain status for the first time then bear in mind you won't get lounge access or breakfast or happy hour drinks at most hotels on the basic rate until you qualify as Platinum. Ovolo is an exception if you book direct as I describe because it's an independent hotel that is managed by its own rules.
The price is hard to ignore so I知 going to give it a try the next time I知 in HK.

Please forgive me Richard, but I don稚 get why you suggest I book via email. I知 not sure what the advantage is and what I知 getting. You seem to have mentioned all of the advantages booking online. If I initiate a challenge, I hope to use this to achieve Platinum status. Otherwise, I値l have Gold via credit card.

Btw, any suggestions for Tokyo? That痴 actually my next destination.