FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How Can AC employees tell that you have Altitude Status?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:16 am
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I get the occasional question when in my usual travel attire; hoodie, t-shirt, and jeans. I have never been asked when coming from or going directly to a work meeting and in professional clothing.
I am almost always dressed casually and never really have issues with AC staff. Perhaps it's because @RatherBeInYOW and I share essentially the same look - other than the age, "guy in 40s with Tumi rollbaord and laptop bag stacked on top, tired with a resigned look on your face" pretty much describes me to a T

The only place I've really been hassled by AC staff, come to think of it, is at the priority check-in area at YYZ, since they put up that plastic barrier to funnel people in past a screening staff member, where I've had a couple of slightly snooty people comment that this was priority/ask whether I was meant to be there.

I get it from PAX too. Got a 4 minute lecture in the Z1 line at YUL from an upgraded E35 - it included how I was likely in the wrong line, how I could never know as much about the pains of air travel as him etc. Then his wife pointed out my SE tag to him and he got a little awkward.
Oh, yes, pax can be very bad. Probably my all-time favourite was a guy who had Z2 boarding because of his TD Aeroplan card, standing at the head of the Z1 line waiting to get on the plane ASAP, brandishing his TD card so that no one would deny him his privilege, getting very annoyed at me when I went around him for Z1 boarding.

In truth though, I don't get challenged often. I believe this is due to my hairline and waistline performing opposite phenomenons at the same time.
You're slimming down and growing more hair? Wow, things are really going your way!

Originally Posted by marchelli
Even identifying medical doctors may not be the most helpful. I know many paramedics that do more cardiac arrests and respiratory failure calls in a month than even some ER Docs.
Very true. My wife is an ER nurse and had an amusing experience on a flight a few years ago where a lady needed medical attention and a middle-aged dermatologist attempted to deal with the situation. It took her longer than it should have to realized that she was not actually very well qualified to handle it and leave my wife to it, but eventually she figured it out.