FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:43 am
smckane

Waiting in the First lounge in T5 and what has really annoyed me is the attitude of some of the passengers I've been around in some of the queues. We can all moan and grumble about what caused the issues, but it is not fair to take that out on the staff here. Everyone I've met has been superb - managers have been out from behind their desks trying to manage queues and offer advice, staff at the desks have tried their hardest and often butted heads with systems they're not used to using and done whatever they could do to sort things out.

Yes, it's been slow. Yes, I wish it hadn't happened. But everyone with a BA badge on has tried to get things moving. The verbal abuse and threats I've seen dished out today are disgusting. Those passengers who've tried either the DYKWIA card, or the "you've ruined me life" card (when it's a late start to holiday or missed meeting) need to get a grip. There are true emergency cases though - a man behind me in one queue was rebooked and then promptly had that flight cancelled, he needs to get home to care for his disabled kid, that's a real case for needing help, and the staff were superb in helping him urgently.

My tuppence worth - shows that staff need training a bit more on backup systems, maybe more regular refresher courses. I'd also invest in more tensa barriers. Oh, and the extra cash at IT systems is a given, but that is true not just for BA but EVERY industry and workplace I've ever been to.