FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Used Google Flights, Euro non-BE fare, transfer to UA.com, now USD BE fare-no warning
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:03 pm
rmannion

Used Google Flights, Euro non-BE fare, transfer to UA.com, now USD BE fare-no warning

I just bought what I thought was an economy flight, but is seemingly a Basic Economy one?

I came to United via a GF search: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=L...12*2.USD.51142

I clicked the Basic Economy dropdown and changed it to Economy. I then proceeded to click through to United, landing on the UK-English localization, which showed the price in GBP. After entering my payment information, the site notified me that the flight was repriced to match my currency, which was unexpectedly cheaper ($515 as opposed to $610 or so). I was able to select seats (including E+ ones) complimentary, as expected. However, when checking my flight later, I found that all segments are labeled Basic Economy with reduced PQM and all the other limits (including no longer being able to change my seat for free).

Has this happened to anyone else/is there something I can do?

One curious thing is that if I click through to United per the above, then change my localization to US-English before paying, the flight again reprices to something cheaper, but there is ZERO indication that it's now a basic economy flight.