Thread: Taxis in Sweden
View Single Post
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:03 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ellaire
I took a taxi in the morning, 1.8 2019 from Cityterminalen to Skavsta airport as I had missed my bus. I was kicking myself but the (bosnian) driver seemed very compassionate, reassuring me that it is going to be ok and that he is able to cut a fair deal (staff at Cityterminalen told me that it would be 1000-1500 krones). However, the he could not tell me the price beforehand even if I insisted in knowing, just kept repeating that it is going to be ok. We were half way down and I was getting really worried and finally he said that the journey can be up to 3000 krones! Anyway, at the end it turned out that the journey was his "special price" 3768 krones! He got really defensive and rude, and even had the nerve to say that he had just given me 1000 SEK discount! This was just included one person, no luggage, almost no traffic at 8-9 am.
Did you miss the 7:20am bus? You may have saved money if you had rented a car or taken Uber when you can’t wait for the next bus.

3800 SEK for a 70-80 minute ride sounds like a lot for a ride, but it’s really out of the way for most Stockholm taxi drivers and thus is more akin to being a 140-160 minute drive for the driver. I don’t find 3800 SEK that unexpectedly high for a 140-160 minute drive in a high labor cost country for taxi rides and gas too; but I would have tried to negotiate a fixed fee at a taxi stand and get it in writing from the driver before the start, all because of the rip-off chances.

UberX would have probably cost as little as c. 1200 SEK, while UberBlack is probably c. 2200 SEK. But a taxi peak demand hours, the prices are probably higher since most taxi and chauffeur services do a lot of their fares during the morning rush hours, summer being a bit of an exception since locals are still largely off.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 5, 2019 at 6:09 pm