FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:19 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe3
August 7th
EWR-IAH 738 UA 687
IAH-SYD 789 UA 101
Cash + Miles Upgrade to UA First/Polaris, no status
Zero chance on EWR-IAH.

IAH-SYD is booked 38/48, with inventory at PN2 PZ0, so it's possible. I'd like your chances better with status, but, as findark recently pointed out, this isn't exactly high season for Australian travel.

Originally Posted by Jamester
My understanding (from spending the last 15 mins on Google) is R fare using GPUs would trump those who bought even a Y (unrestricted economy) fare using GPUs, and the article went on to say it would even beat a GS on a Y fare using GPUs. Is this a true statement?
Yes (to the first part), and sort of (to the second). As long as PN > 0, a GS can clear at booking. If PN were zero, and a GS joined the waitlist, they'd be waitlisted for PN, which will open before PZ. If there's any truth at all to the last point, it would only be if PN were zero and stayed that way all the way to the gate. Then, a passenger on an R fare may be ahead of a GS passenger on a Y fare -- although since so many GS benefits are unpublished, I don't think we really even know if that is the case.

However, being ahead of all non-GS economy passengers is still a big win. (Note that someone could still book O or A and move ahead of you).