View Single Post
Old Aug 4, 19, 5:54 pm
Thai-Kiwi

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo View Post
Always book a fully flexi return at cheapest time and change at 12.01 am on the day of travel.
I do the same. Additionally, I monitor fares and if a more desirable timing at the same price or a cheaper fare at a suitable time, then I cancel and buy the new fare.

I avoid simply changing the time/date of an existing flexidate fare as subsequent changes or cancellation sometimes become difficult to manage any further changes or cancellation online, and a call is needed.

Sometimes I will book a number of flights over 2-3 days if travel dates are not fixed. This means I may have $400-600 in refundable flights booked with AirNZ for each such journey, but the flexibility is worth it to me.

i have one family member booked with 5 flights over the Xmas period DUD-WLG (and vv) as his work schedule and leave is not yet known.

I have been caught out just once with the strategy to change at 12:01am as there was no space on any other flight all day due to a weather event. The lesson was to select the cheap flight with a flight time that still works, in the event other flights are sold out. That may not be the cheapest flexidate flight on the day.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Aug 4, 19 at 6:09 pm